Monday, March 06, 2006

Binos

Still it wouldn't reward the watcher to stay awake
In hopes of seeing the calm of heaven break
On his particular time and personal sight.
That calm seems certainly safe to last to-night.
-Frost

Got to talk to Mom and my best friend Nick tonight. That was nice. Everything is about the same at home as always. People keep working, people keep getting sick or getting healthy. Babies are born. Marriages are performed. The sun goes down. The sun comes up.

Everybody asks me when I talk to them, “what’s going on there? What’s going on with the war? Anything exciting? Anything scary or fun?” I have no answer for most of these questions. We play video games, we sleep, we work out, and we work. We always work. Going on seven months now without any of us having a full day off. But we survive and don’t complain. There is very, very rarely anything exciting that happens, and this always seems to perplex family and friends. It’s war, I can hear them thinking, there has to be something interesting to relate. But there’s really not. We have won, and not a last-minute, one-yard squeaker of a win, but a running-of-the-scoreboard type win. We have won so much that it is becoming boring here.

Advisors to the Iraqi army and police are leaving all over the place, going back home or to rejoin their units, because many Iraqi units are to the point now where they can function on their own or with very little support from us. The main reason many of us are still here is to support them logistically, rather than militarily.

Of course, every once in awhile there are flare-ups or incidents. But hell, World War II was over in 1945, and there are still Nazis in Germany. Soon the old-school, has-been Iraqi terrorist will supplant old Nazi war criminals in popular culture: the subject of documentaries, a throwaway joke on the Simpsons. A barber in Baghdad who has trouble forgetting his al Qaeda past, instead of a Colombian milkman who greets his best-tipping customer with “Buenos dias, mein fuhrer!”

Jen has apparently sent me lots of movies and TV shows to watch. I can’t wait. All I have here is my Home Movies season 3 collection, and a couple Family Guy and Futurama box sets I bought on the black market here. I’m looking forward to watching some of my favorites, like Newsradio and Aqua Teens.

Because of people going on leave, I will be moving up to HQ to fill in for a few weeks. I am not looking forward to it. I like being as far from the flagpole as possible. The increase in number of meetings I have to attend will be the worst part. I hate meetings. Although if you think about it, the endless meetings are another sign that we’ve won. When people start acting like we’re in garrison, you know we’re in the home stretch.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad you can't sleep in the meetings like you could in a boring lecture class. Charlotte

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home