Friday, September 16, 2005

Hope on a Chain

"She can pull the sunlight thru me..."
-Miami, Counting Crows

Today was kind of bad for me, as far as missing home and stuff. I still have really bad jet lag, so I have lots of time to lie awake thinking about Jen, and Jason, and my family. I really miss Jen very much. I can't even listen to my damn iPod because a song will come on that reminds me of her. "Next Year" by Foo Fighters and "She Don't Want Nobody Near" by Counting Crows particularly. That refrain in the Crows song: "I'm all right...I just can't get home tonight" kills me.

I have noticed a peculiar thing about missing home and being lonely: after awhile, it leads to a cold, brutal rage. I wouldn't even have to leave home, and barbecue, and my dog, I think, if some stupid bastards would just stop killing everybody who was different than them. I understand having values and morals, but there's a difference between looking down your nose at a scandalous woman or a cultural traitor...and KILLING them. And I'm not just angry at terrorists...I can't help but be annoyed a little at the people we've liberated. Why can't these people get their act together and conduct their OWN righteous rebellions? Tyrants are never as powerful as people think--look at Coucaescou (sp?!). Why can't people stand up for themselves? If you see your daughter oppressed because she's a woman, or your cousin persecuted because he's in a different sect of your religion, and you do nothing about it, what kind of man are you?

This is the same problem I have with people who think Bush "stole" either of the two elections he won. If you really thought that...what the hell are you doing not starting a revolution?

On the other hand, maybe they are so apathetic, even about their own lives, that they just don't care if they're oppressed or manipulated. That could never be me.

I guess this is what happens when you're away. You get lonely, and it leads to anger. I am good at controlling anger, but I still miss my family very much. I miss hot and cold running cable TV and having my own shower attached to my living space. I miss Jack Daniel's very much.

And Freebirds. Holy Mother, how I want a burrito so bad. Jennifer gets hers with chicken and cheese and rice and lettuce, and I think sometimes whole beans. I get mine with steak, cheese and rice, whole beans, hot and BBQ sauce, sour cream and lettuce and sometimes jalapenos.

They should open a store here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got home and heard you on the answering machine. Sorry to miss you. I knew you'd call. You always called on cruise when we were gone, remember? We went to get Mimi so she can spend the weekend.

You know what Mrs. McCann says. When you get lonely, find someone to do something for.

Love you, old man!
Mom

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home