Monday, September 19, 2005

Sand

"And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail,
And the idols are broke in the temple of Baal..."
-Byron

We have locals here who do lots of the menial jobs around the camp. They take our laundry and cook our food. They also clean the showers. I only mention this because I happened to be in there this morning when a man came in to clean. I'm used to seeing janitors in the States use cleaning sprays and wipe things down. These guys just throw buckets of bleach and disinfectant everywhere, hose down the room, and leave. I just found it amusing; but as I contemplated on how filthy some of my comrades are, I realized I wasn't surprised.

Whenever I blow my nose, here, blood comes out. The vets tell me it's because of how fine the sand is--when you breathe, it acts like sandpaper against the inside of your nose. This place is about as hospitable as the surface of the moon. Except for the heat and breathable atmosphere, this place could probably pass for it.

I don't have much to do in the evenings, and I can't read for too long here or I'll fall asleep (still not totally caught up on jet lag), so I have been playing Final Fantasy 3 on a Super Nintendo emulator I have on my laptop. I forgot how fun that game was. I miss those old video games. I liked how you didn't have to spend millions of dollars on graphics or a new engine, but you could still produce a quality game with a good storyline. I also have Mario Kart, so I've been tearing it up on that.

Jen has been doing some stuff with the house, like painting and getting some frosty paper (if that is the right phrase) for the front door windows. She sounds pretty excited about it. I am already looking forward to seeing the house when I get home.

The rest of the division is arriving shortly, and so it will become very difficult to get a free computer here, or a free phone over in the phone center. I may not get to post for a few weeks after this. My job will also get a lot busier. I'm both dreading and looking forward to this.

Thanks for your emails, everyone. They mean a lot to me. I'm thinking about all of you as well. Have a burrito and some barbecue for me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick,

Funny you mentioned the burritos. I went to Freebird's last week. And the game on Saturday.. My oh, my we certainly BTHO SMU!!!!!!!(exactly seven exclamation marks-WHOOP) We stipped them of all dignity. Wish you could of been there. I love you soo damn much. Be careful.

Amanda

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home