Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Cots

"When did you become so obsessed with voting, Professor?"
"The very instant I become old!"
-Futurama

I hear the Afghanistan elections went well. I'm glad. They seem to be doing very well for themselves since we liberated them a few years ago. I can still remember shocked-looking CNN reporters standing in the middle of soccer stadiums, describing how many thousands of public executions were held in them. The reporters are back to being jaded and cynical, but Afghanistan is back on track to being a decent place. Although if it's as hot there as it is here, the first thing I'd use my freedom for would be moving to Texas, where it may be hot, but at least you have to use a stove to fry an egg.

I'm also pleased with the German elections. It's about time an elected official paid for being an appeaser. I'm hoping this new lady will be a lot more helpful to us as we pursue the wolves worldwide. She seems pretty squared away.

I was watching Monday Night Football at breakfast yesterday morning, and saw that Saints receiver toss the ball out of bounds right before he got across the goal line. It was the weirdest thing I've ever seen in football--he had the ball firmly caught and tucked, but then just kind of threw it away, the way you would set a volleyball. He didn't even have the sense to stay down and pretend he was hurt. Don't know what that guy was thinking, but then, I prefer college ball. Glad we won our game last weekend. I wish I could see them here.

I was right about it being impossible to get in here now that all of us have arrived. I think I may not get regular phone or internet access until we settle into our AO up north. There's just too many soldiers here now.

Now that everybody else is here, I can't wait to go North. They've only been here a day, and there are already mice and beetles crawling all around the tent because people leave snacky food lying around. Also, some idiot plugged in a cell phone or laptop using the wrong adapter and blew one whole wall of the tent, so I can't charge my iPod or use my computer unless I go across to the other wall. The latrines and showers are filthy and there are lines everywhere--the PX, the DFAC, even in here, although I seem to have caught it at a low point today.

I fell asleep listening to A Brief History of Time last night. I think that one of metaphysics' biggest problems is that they cannot at this point comprehend a finite universe. They also cannot seem to reconcile an infinite universe with the existence of God.

I have a meeting in an hour. I'll try to call home tonight, but I can't make promises. Love you to all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you sounding better, like we can all do this, even one day at a time.

We are getting ready for the hurricane. HHS gym is getting people from Galveston today-don't know what that means for homecoming activities.

More later. I love you, old man.

Mom

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you!! Hope to hear from you soon before Hurricane Rita hits!! I'm in houston, but will probably be heading north!! Need to go get ready!! <><><> Jennifer

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick,

Thanks for calling today.. Sry. if I sounded bad, I was kind of asleep.. As I'm sure Mom and Dad told you Rita didn't do too much..I'm glad. At one point, it was supposed to go over Huntsville directly.. As always, I miss you and love you..

Amanda

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home