Friday, October 21, 2005

Hawser

And I wear it for the thousands who have died
Believing that the Lord was on their side;
I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died
Believing that we all were on their side.
-Cash, Man In Black

I’m now 11% done with my tour. I keep telling myself that I won’t look at that spreadsheet every morning, but every morning as soon as I’m done shaving I do exactly that. It’s hard not to adopt an attitude of just doing my year here, even if I do believe in the mission. I think it may have been easier to be “here and now” and not homesick in wars where you were in for the duration. Also, we have no clear enemy. Do not confuse this statement; we have very clear goals. But having a face to attach to the enemy is very good for morale and determination. It helps to know who you’re fighting. I’m not sure anybody up in the war rooms realizes how much it would help the war effort to have an information dissemination program where we talked about the terrorist masterminds controlling these actions. Seeing a bunch of sad-sack farmers who come to kill us with rusty old AKs is disheartening. Speaking of which, I wish they’d just stand and fight. I could at least respect that.

It’s getting cold here. Very cold. Another few weeks and it will be below freezing in the mornings. It’s past noon here right now and it’s still chilly in the shade. Two weeks ago it was like an oven outside. I have been away from Texas too long—these sudden weather changes are affecting me a lot more than they should.

I got a care package from my parents’ neighbors. Thanks very much, Ms. E and Charlotte. The Starburst are already almost gone. Everything in there was much appreciated, especially the barbecue sauce and the fruit. I’m not sure if I will be able to use the catnip, though. I haven’t seen the kitties in a week or so, and I was starting to wonder until I saw a wolf slinking around the area a few nights ago. I hope he hasn’t eaten them or scared them off. They were just starting to let us come near them. Also, they mouse for us. If I see the wolf again, I may shoot him. The last thing we need on top of all the bad hygiene around here is a wolf bringing in God knows what kind of germs.

The monotony is starting to kill me, and it’s getting harder to moor myself mentally to the routine things I need to do every day. Shave. Work out. Clean my rifle. I really need a day off. Not looking like it’s going to happen any time soon.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick...hey you are 11% done...better than 1%. Every day brings you one day closer to coming home to your beautiful wife. Don't let things get to you to bad, you are doing an awesome job for our country...and I admire your strength..keep up the GREAT work!! Bri

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I going to have to start calling you Starburst now? Kill that Good for nothing Wolf. Or I'll come over there and do it myself. It probably did eat all those kittens, or they are good at hidding from it.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems to be going slow but will be over before you know it!! I'm proud of both you and Jennifer for plugging along and doing your jobs!! Though, with the cooler weather, the grass isn't growing as fast and Jennifer is glad THAT job is coming to an end for awhile :o)
Candy

6:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nephew,

Have been reading your texts since day one but just now discovered the comments section so I hope this gets to you.

Could, and would you use something along the lines of a big thick games book: i.e. word search, crosswords, fill-ins (my favorite), and many other puzzles which include heavy thinking required type games. These require no batteries and make no sounds; they need only a scripting instrument and brain to operate.

Congrats on the promotion.

I've spoken with Jen a few times. I'll call her one of these days to get your address.

I am very proud of you and I love you very much.

Uncle duncle

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick-

I love you so much. I admire you for what your doing.. There are many who could never fathom doing what your doing. I know it seems to be going slow, but it will be over before you know it.

The Ags won this wknd. It was too close for comfort, but we did win! I'm so excited abt. the Texas game. As of now, I'm going.

Again, I love you and admire you.

Amanda

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear your voice yesterday.
I'm thrilled that the boxes are getting through. There will be more coming.Love you, old man.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home