Monday, October 03, 2005

Swamp

"Left," he cried, and breath forsook me,
Terrified yet without fear;
All the fastnesses I secret
Crushed me as we hurtled near.
-Elmwood, from "Corridors of Death and Sound."

The mosquitoes here are ungodly. The ate me the hell up last night as we were sitting around outside the bunker talking. There is a swamp around most of the FOB, and it is getting worse as the rainy season approaches.

All the guys in the bunker got up to watch Monday Night Football at 4 in the morning. I couldn't sleep very well with the game on and them cheering and yelling. I am kind of worried, though; I am going to bed at, like, eight or nine, and if I let myself I can sleep for ten hours straight. Either I am not getting quality sleep, or something is wrong. It is bothering me. Usually I only need six or seven.

Heard lots of firing last night from the base down the road. Nobody knows what was going on.

My smallpox site has finally stopped leaking stuff, so the medics said I don't have to leave the band-aids on. I'm glad. I can finally start running again. I'm going to run over to the gym this afternoon and start my lifting regimen. I'm going to try to put on ten to fifteen pounds of muscle this year, and lose a lot of fat. I put a good inch or two on my waist right before I came, and it already seems to be gone. I'm pleased. I think it's because I don't have access to beer here, so I have already decided to not drink nearly so much beer upon my return.

One of my buddies bought four seasons of Futurama for $5 from the Haji store. I'm trying to get him to get me a copy of Serenity and Lord of War. He said to check back on Wednesday, since that's when he gets his new stuff. I just hope my damn tuff box gets here soon, because it has my XBOX in it.

I kind of gave up on Brothers K, and am now reading James DeLillo's Underworld, which was recommended to me years ago by my high school senior English teacher. I'm still living out of my ruck, but at least I have a bed now, and a little rug. When the unit we're replacing moves out, I'll have a very nice room.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the reasons you are needing more sleep is stress just wears you out. Mrs. Nichols tells everyone how great you are. I saw Christy Mac at Fair on the Square-she told her mom how great you are and all about some of the antics of GT camp.

I love you, old man.

Mom

8:17 PM  
Blogger Battler03 said...

I totally forgot about GT camp. What a lot of fun those times were. I'm flattered that these ladies think of me fondly; I was always such a hassle to deal with as a student.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home