Monday, September 26, 2005

Djinn

"He whispered, 'And a river lies
Between the dusk and dawning skies,
And hours are distance, measured wide
Along that transnocturnal tide--
Too doomed to fear, lost to all need,
These voyagers blackward fast recede
Where darkness shines like dazzling light
Throughout the Twelve Hours of the Night.' "
-Ashbless, from The Twelve Hours of the Night.

We went to a range the other day and I saw a father dog playing with his tiny, jet-black puppy son. As we walked off to the firing line, he took the puppy back over to the mother dog, in the shade by the latrines, to nurse. Seeing the little black dog reminded me of Jason, and it killed me. I don't know why missing my dog is so painful.

There was a dust storm that blew up while we were trying to zero our rifles. I never thought so much sand could get up in weird places in a weapon. Three days later, I'm still cleaning grit out of my bolt and carrier and charging handle. The djinn obviously want to annoy the hell out of me, and I will be more than happy to leave them behind when the time comes.

I feel like time has no meaning here. I lose whole days, and wake up one morning and find out that another hurricane is hitting in the exact same place. That crazy woman is totally embarrassing herself and dishonoring her fallen hero son by making a spectacle of herself again. That condescending earth-mother bitch Barbra Streisand is ranting about global warming again. It's like I've entered a time warp that detours through a kiln.

I really appreciate hearing from all of you, especially family that I've not spoken with in a long time. It means a lot to me, to know that you are back there thinking about and praying for my soldiers. They are filthy and vulgar and complain all the time, and I can't imagine there is a finer group of Americans anywhere. They deserve your prayers and praise. I am supremely humbled to serve them, and I am always kind of in awe of their work ethic and grit. I just desperately want to bring them all home.

Those of you very close to me know that my time here is short. We're rolling north very soon. Keep my comrades in your prayers, and don't worry. I'll keep one eye on my six.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom had a chicken burrito and I had a vegi one from a place on the Sam campus and thought of you while I ate it. Your hunny is spending the night with your parents and your puppy too. She will be driving back to Ky tomorrow.

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home