Saturday, October 08, 2005

Zero

It makes me think of
Bad decisions that leave you alone
How could everyone rearrange?
How could everyone else have changed?
-Counting Crows, "I Wish I Was A Girl"

I zeroed today in six rounds. I'm not very hardcore, but I've always prided myself on my marksmanship. I can hit a nickel at three hundred meters. I put five rounds center mass and jerked the six, so I only hit the shoulder, but five out of six in the chest counts. I love these new carbines. They're so light.

I am really missing my animals and my wife, but we had a very good discussion about my work on the phone. I have decided in a more or less final manner to stay in until at least after my company command. Jen can be very insightful sometimes. She picked up on something that was happening on the other side of the world between myself and my leadership that I hadn't yet, and the upshot was that, given a boss who doesn't micromanage, I am extremely comfortable with stress and challenges. And given my career goals in the next few years, I will soon be working with a group of people who are trustworthy, and also trust me. I won't say any more about it; I don't want anybody thinking I'm displeased with my position, because I'm not. But talking about looking forward to new challenges can sometimes be mistaken for complaining about where you are now, especially with the extreme sensitivity to "loyalty issues" some officers have.

Well, I'm gonna check my bank statement and decide on a movie to watch tonight. I've been working every day for a month straight, and dammit, I'm going to take a couple hours off tonight and just let my mind relax and be entertained. Out here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home