Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Eyeroll

So although I might like it for one afternoon,

No, I don't want to live on the Moon.

-Ernie

I have given up trying to watch my movie by now. I have given up saying "maybe today will be a good day." My XO told me, when I ran my first M4 range, "don't worry about it--the worst day you ever have in garrison will be much better than the best day you ever have in Iraq." I am beginning to see what he meant. After I get back home, "bad day" and "good day" will have new meaning. If I ever complain again because my favorite show isn't on, or my food takes too long in a restaurant, or I have to wait in a long line, if I ever do that again, I want somebody to slap me. Slap me and say "how long has it been since you were shot at?"

Somebody sent me a funny and sad little excel spreadsheet that shows how long you've been in country and how long you have left--in weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds. According to the pie chart on the spreadsheet, I have already completed 8% of my tour. That's encouraging and disheartening at the same time.

As soon as these guys leave, I'm painting over all their Packers stuff on the walls. I'm getting tired of it. Somebody send me some maroon paint. Although the way we've been playing lately, I may wait on that. Honestly, the one season where it would really lift my spirits to see us kick ass, or even hold our own, and it's like half the team missed the damn bus. We shouldn't have treated Slocum like we did if this was what it got us. I didn't like how we booted him out, but I thought well, if it gets us a championship team, I'll tolerate it. But no. So now I have the guilt of how we treated a coach who did a lot of very good things for us, AND I get to watch us piss away what little reputation we have left. I am already heartbroken over how stupidly, rabidly liberal the school has become; football was the one thing I had left to be proud of about my school. Now I'm losing that too. Thanks, guys.

Well, it is 11 in the morning and I need to get back to the bunker. I only detoured over here because I was on the way back from a meeting. Honestly, if they want me to come see them every morning, they should give me a damn ride. It's a mile and a half over there in the blazing sun with full gear on. And come to think of it, the rainy season is about to start. That will be even more fun than the sun, I bet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick.. I like the quote you used in this post. I like that song it's cute. I guess we'll see abt. the game this Saturday. I'm glad it's at least in the afternoon, instead of at 11:30. Getting up early sucks, so I'm at least happy for the fact that I don't have to wake up as early as I had to before. If it makes you feel any better the Soccer girls won on Sunday. I was there and it was amazing.. I have to go, my stupid german hw is calling me.. Must go.
-Amanda

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how are things at the war? Dad and I loved hearing your voice on the phone yesterday. We are going to the ranch on Friday. Someone has to go, and it is Dad's turn. I'd rather watch macaroni boil or wash out my pantyhose, but I'll go so it will help pass some more time until I see you again.

Love you, old man.

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola, Mom mailed a goody box to you yesterday. You should get it by next week.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home