Sunday, October 30, 2005

Oracle

What the hell am I doing here?
I don’t belong here.
-Radiohead, Freak

I got some more packages. One of them was extra socks and underwear and a couple t-shirts. The second I opened the box, I almost lost it. Those clothes smelled overwhelmingly like my house. I knew homes pick up a scent from being lived in, but I never realized how strongly I had associated mine until I smelled it after two months of being away. For the next few hours, all I could think about was my house and wife and dog. I felt like I was in two places—here, doing my job, but also sitting in my bedroom at that moment, watching my wife and dog sleep.

I am glad I am here. I find it difficult, however, to maintain my motivation when it seems like the Iraqi people have none. I ask the guys that work with them, the advisors we have training and supervising the Iraqi Army, and they all say the same thing: these people have no life goals. They have no dreams, no work ethic, they have no drive. If you ask them what they want to do with their lives, most of them can’t do more than shrug their shoulders.

How do you resurrect a culture where apathy is embraced so wholeheartedly that it isn’t even noticed anymore? How do you make them care about freedom when they don’t have dreams?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually know the answer to your question. The people have never been allowed to have the things you talk about, so how could they just suddenly have those things in just a few years? Also, those things were drilled into you from the day you popped out. Remember the apathy of the Russians after the revolution and then when communism fell? Those are things that have to come from birth. They have to be nurtured and cultivated. Also, in my heart, I really believe they think everything will be taken away once again, so why get excited? I love you, old man. I know what a good man you are. I also know how personally you take everything. Once again, try not to take everything so personally. Love, mom

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are good questions your asking, but what mom says is true. You shouldn't take things personally. Also, I know this is hard to take in, but sometimes you just have to realize that you can't force people to change no matter how bad you want to... Sadly, people are apathetic at times. I love you! -Amanda

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home